Friday, July 13, 2012

Bag End

So, I have a confession of sorts. I'm a huge fantasy and science fiction fan (no, that's not the confession part). Yet, I've never read any of Tolkien's works. Oh, I loved the Lord of the Rings movies and of course, obsessive about the Lego versions but the books... err... not so much.

I can blame it squarely on The Hobbit. If memory serves me correctly, the first few pages began with a description of their huge, dirty, hairy feet and toes...and I stopped reading. And never went back.

Instead, I went merrily on my way, reading Jordan, Eddings, Martin, Howard, Anthony, et al. Always skipping the father of them all, not missing anything to my knowledge. When the movie trilogy was released, I was immersed in a world that was at once strangely familiar and completely foreign. The concepts were well known - a tried and true fantasy formula (yes, yes, I see the irony): a group of travelers, a quest/mission, an untested hero ... all coming together to battle a great Evil against overwhelming odds.

I think I was lucky. It could have been like so many other book to film adaptations but almost everyone who read Tolkien agrees that Peter Jackson did good.

The Hobbit is being released later this year and LEGO gave us a sneak peak of their new LoTR sets, starring Bag End. If the movie is half as amazing as this set, I'm sold.

And thus all roads lead to Lego.


Bag End

2 comments:

  1. You should really read the Tolkien books, its a shame you didn't before seeing the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Bag End was that section of the closet where all the purses are put on display...

    ReplyDelete