Sunday, June 17, 2012

Brick Separators

The unlimited playability is perhaps one of the best things about Lego. Build something, take it apart, build something different and so on. Sometimes, though, the disassembling process can be a bit of a pain.

Worst case scenario: two plates stuck together. I used to do one of two things as a kid:

1. Teeth. I know, I cringe just thinking about this. This invariably left teeth marks all over the bricks and probably didn't do wonders for tooth enamel.

2. Just left it.

Later on, I discovered brick separators which saved a lot of wear and tear on my fingers but it wasn't until last year that I figured out their full potential. And when I did, a chorus of Angels sang out.

There are two styles of separators. The green one is an older design and the orange ones were introduced last year. You'll find the orange separators included with most of the larger sets. Right off the bat, we were excited about the new design - see that little post? Awesome inclusion! You'll see why.



Probably one of the hardest things to separate are two same sized plates. I have broken many a nail on these and even resorted to using a razor blade to try to pry the plates apart. But with brick separators, it's stupidly easy.

Just put one separator on the bottom and the other on top. And then gently press down on the top separator.



They come apart with absolutely no resistance. Effortless. And no teeth marks!



And remember that post on the orange separator? A lot Lego sets have technic parts. It was always a pain trying to pry the little pins out. Sometimes I'd use a chopstick.



Not anymore - just push the post through...



And out pops the pin.



If there is anyone who plays with Lego in your house, you need at least 2 of these. Best Lego accessory ever.

3 comments:

  1. How have I not seen these gizmos.....they're brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how these worked, thanks! Got them in the new LOTR sets we just bought. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't used 2 of these together. That's brilliant! Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete