Monday, May 28, 2012

The Lego Room v2.0

One of the downsides to buying more Lego and expanding your collection is that you eventually have to make a decision: form or function? We've been doing our best to store and organize our Lego collection in a manner keeping with our decor and style preferences. Not an easy task.

                                                  Before

A few months ago, the Lego Room looked like this (information on furniture here).

LEGO Room

LEGO Room

LEGO Room - Minifigure display

Although this looked nice, it was a terribly inefficient use of space. So, we moved the Expedit shelf into our office and bought a few Billy bookcases instead. This allowed us to expand the shelving across most of the back wall.

                                                          And ... After

Ta da! There's probably a bit more room in between the bins and containers than most people would like but it makes it very easy to move things around and pull out what you're looking for. And yes, that end cap on the desk is completely filled with minifigure parts.

Lego Room Updated

We also added some floating shelves for display purposes. Over all, it looks busier and less "furniture-y" which is a shame but this is far more useful and accessible.

The closet got an overhaul as well (details here) and this is where we keep all our completed sets - labeled with pictures, set names and numbers and then organized by theme. I miss the look of the doors but to be honest, they were a pain to navigate around.

Lego Room Updated

And I finally got around to building more minifigure display cases (full write up and how to guide here). But I ran out of the 2x4 black plates I use as stands so the two half full cases will have to wait. I'll have a separate post on just the display cases as soon as I'm finished.

Lego Minifigure Display Wall: Updated
A view from the door:

Lego Room Updated

Finally, since we went on a bit of a shopping spree for the last few months, we have a backlog of sets to build. We keep the "to be built" sets in another closet and every time we walk in here, a chorus of angels sigh happily.

Lego Room Updated: To be built

12 comments:

  1. This room is awesome! Where are we putting all the sets we're buying next week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice work! I like how clean and organized everything is. Beautiful room. You've got an impressive collection!!!

    Is part of the hobby collecting whole themes/sets? I ask because only like 10 of the more epic sets are on display but you've got more storage than the Container Store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian!

      Definitely the main focus on our hobby is collection themes and sets.

      If you look at the 2nd photo in the AFTER portion, you can see the closet in our Lego Room (it's the one with the white wire shelving). All of our sets are stored there.

      Delete
  3. wow!!!!!! this is unreal! i am so glad you came by my blog to tell me about how your organize your lego's - this puts my little 3 drawer bin to shame!!!! i can't believe how many lego's you have. my boys would be in heaven for days on end.

    thank you again for sharing!!!
    samantha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a room similar to yours, especially the closet where sets have not been built and I feel the same way you do when I walk in mine. I beamed when I read what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part of walking in there is deciding what to build!

      Delete
  5. I could do this, I just need an addition to my house :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great room! Can you please tell me what kind of containers do you use? sizes? where do you buy them?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome room. I would like to know how you organized your lego's By set or by item and color? My sons who is 8 has tons of legos and I am trying to organize them Please help me out.
    Thanks you Aaron.
    Email Reboot530@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete