Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lights!

Brace yourself. This is a non-Lego/kitten/Draw Something post.

I've been bitten with the Spring cleaning and redecorating bug. As usual, I'm juggling about 10 different projects at once which drives the boy crazy - he wants me to focus. Although things did get delayed for a bit while James recovered from a back injury. Apparently, when you start getting old, tasks like getting up from a chair can be fraught with danger. But I digress.

It's taken a while but this is the current state of our dining room:

Dining Room After

Well, truthfully, it's totally covered in Lego that needs to be sorted (oops, I mentioned Lego) but you get the gist. Oh, and I added a third framed photo.

The thing I really dislike about this room is the chandelier. It came with the house and it's ugly. I thought about spray painting it black or oil rubbed bronze (like the curtain rods) but it doesn't really change the fact that I don't like the shape and style of the thing.

Lately, I've been leaning towards this capiz light from West Elm. I like the lines, it's fairly modern but cottage-y feeling and it gives off a softer, ambient glow. I hate seeing bare light bulbs in the dining room.



The price is right although I've read reviews that it's a pain in the ass to put together. I know the boy will hate it but I think it would balance the bluish grey walls and the dark brown table in our room.

Comments?

Update: I photo-shopped (very poorly) the capiz light fixture onto the dining room photo. I think we have a winner!!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, that's way better than the chandelier. However, I'm not the one who will be putting it together so, just this once, Fizzie's vote can override mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blech! What happened to simple and modern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that table only looks like that on Thanksgiving and X-mas days. Otherwise it is a Lego staging area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news! The Lego staging area will soon be softly lit with the glow from a hundred little capiz shells.

      Delete