Sunday, November 06, 2011

The LEGO Room

[Note: Here's a how-to-guide on how to build the Lego Minifigure Display case.]

I decided a while back to turn my crafting studio into a LEGO room. I never used it so I packed up my scrapbooking supplies and sold them on Craigslist. I did however, keep all the furniture since it was ideal for storage and building models and MOCs.

Here's the view from the door. Most LEGO builders have their work surfaces pushed up against a wall so they can stack small, modular shelves for easy access. We might do that eventually but this allows both of us to work on either side. Plus, I kind of like the flow of the room this way.

LEGO Room

The desk is made from the Adams tabletop and Adams shelves from Target and those are IKEA Expedit shelves. I'm really, really happy with my choice of desks. I went back and forth between the Pottery Barn version and Target's version but in the end, the Adams table made much more sense and it was half the price at the time.

Unfortunately, it looks like Target jacked up the price - the table top and 2 pairs of side shelves are now $750 total. I think I paid $475 with discounts and free shipping. And you definitely want to get free shipping since it weighs close to 200 lbs.

View from the window.

LEGO Room

One of my favorite things in this room are the new minifigure display cases. It's so nice having them out on display and dust-free. The link will show you a how-to guide on how to build them - they're super easy!

LEGO Room - Minifigure display

The main Expedit shelf is divided into 2 sections. I used the top shelves for display and the bottom half for storing different sets. The white magazine holders have all the instruction booklets sorted by theme.

[Yes, those white and green tissue flowers are not exactly LEGO related but they're pretty and one of the few holdovers from when this room was all girl-crafty!]

LEGO Room

Here are the bottom shelves. Store sets or part them out? This has been an ongoing debate for quite a long time. I like storing individual sets in containers - saves a lot of time digging around when we want to re-build. But James wants to part everything out so we have access to LEGO that would otherwise be sitting in bins.

We compromised and only store the sets we know we will rebuild. There are umm... 75 more bins downstairs waiting to be labeled.

LEGO Room - Sets

The closet holds our loose LEGO and UCS sets. (I updated it since I first wrote this post now it looks like this instead of the photo above when there was still a door - more info here)

Wall Mounted Shelving

Each of those storage containers are individually labeled and then organized by element and color. I won't even mention how long this takes us - suffice it to say, it's a labor of love.



We still have a crazy amount of LEGO to sort through and organize since our dining room table still looks like this:

LEGO Organization process

That's it - a brief tour of the LEGO room in progress and how we store and organize our collection.  And yes, we know it's a little over the top. But it makes us smile!

Lego Minifigure Display: Star Wars

Update: May 28, 2012. We revamped the Lego Room again to accommodate our growing collection - here's version 2.0.



Linked to House of Hepworth, Thrifty Decor Chick and I Heart Organizing.

18 comments:

  1. I like it!

    Might I suggest you buy some more Lego?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at nubcakes!

    I love your minifigure cases! They look great, well the whole room does. Props on being so organized.

    (Stopping by from the lego link party at "I Heart Organizing")

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHMYGOSH! I think I am in love with you. Marry me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Rainbow. Only if you promise I can bring my Star Wars LEGO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGOMGOMGOMGLEGOROOM!!!!

    Sorry, had a flashback to childhood there. My sister and I are in our late 30s and still have our Legos from when we were kids. (They're stored in a Vietnam War-era wooden crate that once held C-3 plastic explosives. Scary and neat all at once.) Your Lego room is a dream come true for those of us who loved the little plastic blocks when we were kids. And those of us who still love them. :-) Excellent layout and color scheme...and everything looks as if it's pretty easy to find. If I lived nearby I'd volunteer to comehelp you sort Legos. No, really. It would probably be meditative and peaceful for me.

    Perhaps I should pick up a general Lego set and build/play; it might make me feel better when I'm stressed out. Thanks so much for posting this wonderful inspiration/blast from the past. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Miss Kitty - sorting LEGO is extremely peaceful for me. Except when I have over 150lbs to clear out of the dining room before Thanksgiving! LOL.

    And be sure to hang onto your LEGO! They are probably worth quite a bit, especially if you can make the original sets from the 70's/80's etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG my son and husband would be so envious of your room!! And I LOVE the frame with all the mini figures in it. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Allison. I think a new project is your future!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great. I'm scouring the net looking for Lego organization ideas and I just love this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just incredible! I'm an adult Lego fan myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! Although it's a complete and utter mess right now. I wish it always looked this neat. LOL

      Delete
  11. Oh wow! I thought we were the only ones with a Lego problem. Our house looks like a shrine to Legos and I don't even know what to do with all of them. I wish my son would get organized. I'm going to show this post to him when he gets home. Awesome job with the minifigure display. You should sell them on etsy. I know I would buy ten.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi cindy ! Love your lego room and im just wondering where can i buy those wall mount rack for the lego mini figures ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I built those minifigure cases and you can find the how to guide here:

      http://nubcakes.blogspot.com/2011/10/lego-minifigure-display-cases.html

      Delete
  13. Hey Cindy! Your Lego room is amazing! I was wondering where you got your containers with the dividers? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Rosie. Thanks! I reviewed the bins here:

      http://nubcakes.blogspot.com/2012/01/yes-im-reviewing-bins.html

      I bought those containers at various places: Home Depot and Joanns.

      Delete
  14. What is the size of your lego room?

    ReplyDelete