Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Sing With Me

Valentine's day is right around the corner and here is my gift to you all... my Top 10 "Most Awesome, Do you love me like this? I think I'm going to cry" Love Songs. For readers of the male persuasion, take note. This should score you some cootchie if you play your cards right (bonus points for learning the lyrics and singing along). Trust me.

10. Separate Lives by Phil Collins. Sadly, not every love story has a happy ending. Some go on living separate lives.

9. Say You, Say Me by Lionel Richie. Watching the crush of my life walk across the Jr. High gymnasium floor, to ask me to dance to this song. [Note: For those savvy enough to realize that the boy and I didn't even live in the same country when I was in school, technically, my husband is the love of my life - crush means an unrequited thing *sigh*. You know who you are, Raymond!]

8. Everytime You Go Away by Paul Young. Because we need to know how crippling our absence will affect those we love.

7. Almost Paradise by Ann Reno and Mike Wilson. If you don't see Paradise in your lover's eyes, then you're not drunk in love enough.

6. I Honestly Love You by Olivia Newton John. Bonus marks if you can sing this in the same pitch as Olivia, while wearing a headband.

5. I want to know what Love is by Foreigner. Hey, it’s Foreigner.

4. You’re the Inspiration by Chicago. Isn’t that what we’re all looking for? The kind of love that lasts forever. (This should be in a Hallmark card or something).

3. Nothing Compares to You by Sinead O’Connor. Nothing is sexier than the reek of desperation.

2. Careless Whispers by Wham! The anguish of love betrayed. This should serve as a warning to all those who might be tempted to stray. Don't do it! You'll never dance again ’cause guilty feet ain't got no rhythm. You’ve been warned.

And my favorite…

1. Lady in Red by Chris De Burgh. The Ultimate. ULTIMATE. Everything else is less. Just less… *fade out*… I love you.

7 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I can only agree with the songs in spots 1, 2 and 3. The others just don't do it for me. Also, if we're going to do a song by Phil Collins it should be One More Night, Groovy Kind of Love or Against All Odds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved "Groovy Kind of Love". I mean, who wouldn't? It has Groovy in the title. But I was always moved by the sadness of Separate Lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it'd get me cootchie with girls who were teenagers in the 80s. But that's TOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh snap.

    I think I've been insulted by an emo/goth boy in a puffy, pirate shirt. Whatever will I do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two things:

    1) There is no "T" in the word coochie. Don't ask me how I know.

    2) Nothing tops "True" by Spandau Ballet. I don't even know what that shit is about, but it's the best slow dance song...ever.

    ReplyDelete