Monday, December 15, 2008

I'm Dreaming...

Been overdosing on Christmas schmaltz the last few days. First, the boy and I watched Rudolph on TV last week - that crazy 1964, stop-action animation version. Maybe it's best to leave beloved childhood memories in their box; I had forgotten just how depressing and weird it is.

Last night, however - in between bouts of playing Warcraft - we watched my all time favorite, White Christmas. Mmmm. That one never, ever disappoints. Settled in with some roasted chestnuts, a warm blanket, a sleeping boy, Bing crooning and snow falling outside, it was a ridiculously ideal evening.

Speaking of snow, it's snowing in Portland. Which means we're snowed in. The entire city held hostage by 4 inches (you'd think that 4 inches wouldn't be able to accomplish anything but.. har har). I used to think this was ridiculous...especially coming from Toronto where snow storms were just a part of life from October to April. But then I realized that this city isn't equipped to deal with snow - and why should it be? Not when it happens once every 2 years at the most?

No giant fleet of trucks salting and de-icing the streets because they simply wouldn't be used enough to offset the capital expenditure. And we don't own any snow tires because.. seriously.. why the hell would we? So, I'll gladly stay home for a few days every two years and watch the world slow down.

And make hand-made accordion books with Japanese specialty paper and mini clipboards. Why mini-clipboards? Why mini anything?! Remember the awesome mini clothespins?!



And of course, another tree picture. No lights, just the rare winter sun streaming in.

4 comments:

  1. That tree needs more present! I should get wrapping....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! MORE PRESENTS FOR ME!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tree! Happy belated birthday, Fizzie! (In case you're not checking the older post....)

    And speaking of snow... we have friends (Petrin and his wife) who decided to leave our beautiful city and vacation in Las Vegas... where they saw about two inches of snow yesterday. I was laughing so hard when I heard this that my boss came out to see what was so funny. Enjoy your snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous of the snow! You can see some on the tops of the mountains around here, but it would take a miracle for it to snow down where we live.

    The clipboards look cute! I enjoy office supplies in miniature.

    ReplyDelete