Tuesday, October 07, 2008

House Ogre Smash!

Hi! Meet my little green friend, the House Ogre hulk!

He's pretty cranky and grouchy and therefore makes a perfect mascot for my pet peeves. You'll see him whenever I'm about to go off on a tremendous rant.

So, you'll see him quite often cause lots of stuff makes me maaad. Right now, MS Office 2007 has me enraged. ENRAGED!

They took the menu bar on all the Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc), the tried and true menu bars that worked fine and made perfect sense and converted them into this monstrosity...



WHAT THE FUCK???

That's the new "Home" menu. I have literally spent hours setting up my custom command bars in all the programs. And every single time that I forget and click on the menu bar to do something simple like "track changes" ... poof, that giant, stupid-ass graphic ribbon shows up.

And the best part? There is NO WAY to revert to the classic menu dropdown lists unless you pay for a $30 third party addon program. Which, I gotta tell you, is mighty tempting.

Because this is just stupid. This makes Classic Coke and New Coke seem smart in comparison. The audacity, the sheer in-your-face attitude of Microsoft. Is that what you came up with in order to justify a new version?

4 comments:

  1. I dunno, that looks ok to me, but I haven't used Office in years to get used to them.

    If we never advanced interfaces or tried new things, we'd be having this conversation in DOS. That'd be superfun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been using it for about 8 or so months, and it's ok. I am a huge keyboard person, so sometimes I will still use the keyboard shortcut, which still works. I do like the ribbon for some stuff since it makes it more obvious what you're about to do. Unfortunately it takes up a lot of room. You definitely need a big monitor. Yessss....bigger monitor!!

    Oh and it sucks if you sharing docs w/people who have the older version...they can't even view the docs! You have to save them in the older format. : /

    ReplyDelete
  3. They Mac-ified it! I also hate the new version, and am quite happy I haven't upgraded yet. I had a run in with the new version last year when a friend came for help with Excel. I couldn't find a thing on her machine, and was running through how to do it on mine, then trying to find it on hers. It took 2 - 4 times longer than it should have because nothing made sense. Yes, I have an iPhone, but I mostly hate Macs. They're nonsensical!

    ReplyDelete