Thursday, August 30, 2007

Total Eclipse Of The Heart

I loved that song by Bonnie Tyler. Nothing says the 80's like a good old fashioned rock-love song. But I digress. This past Monday, there was a total lunar eclipse. The husband and I had originally planned on watching it since we're both astronomy buffs but that was before we realized that optimal viewing was between 3-4 am.

Kiss of Moon viewing death. Some of my neighbors did stay up and took some photos - so I can't take any credit for these great shots. I'm dismayed that I missed it. One of those rare, clear, cloudless nights in Portland too. *sigh*.

I can't believe how reflective the moon is. It looks like a giant light bulb.

And voila. I knew that it went red but I didn't realize it would be such a vivid red. Hmmm. Isn't this supposed to be a harbinger of death and destruction?

Thanks Ryan for these great photos!
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
I went to another one of the boy's soccer games last night. I was all excited about taking some action shots and forgot how smelly this building is. As soon as I walked in, a tidal wave of gym socks, sweaty men and body odor assailed my senses. Grooooosss. It didn't help that it was unseasonably warm here yesterday.

To add insult to injury, despite the bright overhead lights, it was too dark to take freeze frame action shots. I'll need to get some serious flash wattage next time. I was able to salvage one photo: here's the boy sitting on the bench! He's to the right of the guy in the orange. Doesn't he ooze power and flexibility? Watch out Beckham!

Oh, the score was kinda one sided. I think they stopped keeping track after the yellow team scored their 10th goal. *whistles*.


On the ride home, I decided to see what long shutter speeds could do at night. This is a brightly lit office building.


And this is the boy's favorite dining establishment: Taco Bell. Can you see the signature colors of purple and blue? The red blurry lights are the dashboard of the car.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Those moon shots are awesome! I was hoping Gretchen would want to eat during the lunar eclipse, but, sigh, the one night she didn't wake up between 2 and 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they neat? My boy is on a feeding cycle as well but he usually sleeps through the night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fire bad? My interpretation: Toki wants a romantic evening by the fire, maybe a picnic dinner with candlelight, and some serious, um, snuggling after a decadent dessert. Fizzie's respons: fire bad. Humph. Men.

    ReplyDelete